Gum Reshaping Candidates - New York
When it comes to the appearance of the smile, most people think tooth shape, size, and color are all that matter. While these are important, they are not the only factors affecting the smile’s appearance. The gum line plays a role in the overall appearance of our smiles. Gum reshaping is a cosmetic dentistry treatment that can correct the gum line to instantly transform your smile. To find out if you're a gum reshaping candidate, we welcome you to schedule a consultation at our New York practice, Harlem Center for Aesthetic Dentistry.
What Is Gum Reshaping Treatment?
Excessive gum tissue can contribute to the appearance of a gummy smile, and an uneven gum line can make the teeth appear as though they are out of alignment. The gum reshaping procedure treats these cosmetic problems by contouring and correcting the shape of the gum line and removing excess tissue.
The gum reshaping procedure is typically performed with a dental laser, which provides the best control and allows dentists to finely contour the tissue. Dental lasers also offer the benefit of cauterizing as they cut, reducing bleeding and the risk of infection. Before the procedure begins, the gums are numbed to ensure patient comfort during treatment. Once the gums are fully numbed, the dental laser is used to gently remove excess gum tissue and create an even, beautiful gum line.
After treatment, patients should take special care of their teeth and gums to prevent discomfort. Use a soft-bristled toothbrush, and avoid eating hard, crunchy foods or any foods (like popcorn or buns with sesame seeds) that may get stuck in the gum line. Most patients will be fully recovered from laser gum reshaping within a week or so of treatment.
Candidates for Gum Reshaping
Gum reshaping can improve the appearance of the smile, but it's not suitable for all patients. Candidates for gum reshaping treatment include those who identify with one or more of the following:
- Gummy smile: If you feel like all people can see when you smile are your gums, you likely suffer from a gummy smile. Gummy smiles can be corrected with gum reshaping.
- Uneven gum line: An uneven gum line can make the teeth look uneven. Gum reshaping is ideal for evening out the gum line, creating a uniform and symmetrical look.
- Teeth look too small: When excessive gum tissue covers the teeth, it can make them look too small. Gum reshaping can be performed to remove excess gum tissue and reveal more of the tooth structure, lengthening the teeth.
- Undergoing porcelain veneer treatment: Gum reshaping is often performed in combination with porcelain veneer treatment to create a harmonious fit between the veneers and gums.
- Gums are in good health: The gums must be in good health, free of gum disease and infection, in order to undergo gum reshaping treatment.
Schedule an Appointment
To find out which treatments are right for you, schedule an appointment with our friendly team today. We look forward to seeing you.