Orthodontics for a Straighter, Healthier Smile
Orthodontic treatment can give you a beautifully straight smile and make it easier to maintain your oral health. The Orthodontic team at the Harlem Center for Aesthetic Dentistry offers traditional braces, clear braces, and Invisalign® to help patients achieve balanced, symmetrical smiles. During a consultation, you and Dr. Robertson can determine which option is best for you. Each option usually takes about 18 months. To learn more about how you can benefit from orthodontics, contact our New York office today.
Meet Our Orthodontists
Dr. Renee Pompei
After 60 years together, the Harlem Center for Aesthetic Dentistry is proud to expand the practice by bringing two young orthodontists onboard to join our team.
Dr. Renee Pompei brings vast experience as an ABO (American Board of Orthodontics) board-certified orthodontist. After a number of years at a professional client services consulting firm, Dr. Pompei trained in orthodontics and dentofacial orthopedics at Tufts University. This unique background helps her design personalized treatment that excels our patients' expectations.
Dr. Moonyoung Lee
Dr. Moonyoung Lee is also board certified by the ABO and brings several years of experience in orthodontics to meet the needs of our patients. Committed to ongoing education, Dr. Yee stays abreast of the latest techniques by training young orthodontists as the Orthodontic Residency Program Director at St. Barnabas Hospital. He also attended Tufts University School of Dental Medicine, where he was inducted into the Omicron Kappa Upsilon National Dental Honor Society
Types of Orthodontics
No two patients' needs and goals are alike. We offer a few varieties of orthodontic treatments to meet your unique needs and objectives:
- Traditional braces move your teeth into alignment using a system of brackets and wires. Metal brackets are attached to your teeth. These brackets attach to a thin metal wire called an arch wire. The arch wire is gradually tightened over time to apply the gentle pressure necessary to move teeth into proper alignment. With proper hygiene and regular visits to Dr. Robertson, traditional orthodontics can be very successful in straightening your teeth. They are the least expensive form of orthodontics, and may be the best solution for patients with severe malocclusion.
- Ceramic braces straighten your teeth in the same way that traditional metal braces do. Aesthetically, however, they are much more discreet. Ceramic braces feature ceramic, tooth-colored brackets that are less noticeable on your teeth than metallic braces. If you choose to have ceramic braces, it is important to understand that they do require more attention to oral hygienic care, as they are slightly larger and are more brittle than metal brackets. This type of braces is ideal for anterior teeth on the upper jaw, although in some cases they can be used elsewhere.
- Lingual braces are another discreet orthodontic option. These braces are attached on the backs of your teeth. They require special hygienic care on the part of the patient, as they are difficult to see and reach. Lingual braces are a good option for patients whose bite allows space for the lingual braces to be attached. Ultimately, Dr. Robertson will determine whether you are a candidate for this treatment.
- Invisalign® is an orthodontic treatment that involves wearing a series of clear plastic aligners. Each custom-crafted aligner is slightly different than the next. After wearing an aligner for about two weeks, your teeth will have shifted closer to their proper position, and you will graduate to the next mouthpiece. Invisalign® aligners are removable, which means you can eat any foods you like during treatment. Simply remove your aligner, eat, brush and floss, then place the aligner back over your teeth. Meanwhile, it is highly unlikely that those around you will notice your aligners. This orthodontic option is great for teenagers, professionals, and virtually any patient who wants a more discreet orthodontic option.
- 3M™ Incognito™ Hidden Braces are a type of lingual braces that are affixed upon the back of your teeth. They cost slightly more than traditional braces. Like other types of lingual braces, they are very discreet, and are a good option for certain candidates. Our team will help you to learn the specialized hygienic techniques that your Incognito™ braces require.
Candidates for Orthodontics
Orthodontic treatment can correct:
- Crooked teeth
- Teeth that protrude outward or inward
- Widely spaced teeth
- Crowded teeth
Benefits of a Straight Smile
After completing your orthodontic treatment, you can enjoy many benefits, including enhanced aesthetics and an overall increase in self-confidence. Many patients choose to undergo cosmetic treatments such as teeth whitening to highlight their newly straightened smiles. Meanwhile, a straight smile sets the stage for great oral health. When your smile is straight, you can brush and floss more effectively.
Another very important benefit of orthodontic treatment is the establishment of balance between your jaws. A misaligned bite can place undue stress on the temporomandibular joints (TMJs), which can lead to headaches, facial pain, and other complications. A straight smile not only looks great, but also lends itself to improved health and quality of life.
If you have a misaligned smile, contact us today to learn how you can benefit from orthodontic treatment.