Comfortably and Discreetly Straighten Your Teeth with Invisalign®
If you are interested in straightening your teeth, but are hesitant to wear metal braces, Invisalign® offers an attractive alternative. This system consists of a series of clear trays that gently move the teeth while remaining virtually invisible during use. The skilled orthodontists at Harlem Center for Aesthetic Dentistry can help determine whether this treatment option is right for you. To schedule your Invisalign® consultation, contact our New York, NY, dental practice today.
How Does Invisalign® Work?
If we determine that Invisalign® is a good fit for your goals and needs, we will take detailed impressions of your teeth. These images will be used to create a 3-D model and guide the fabrication of your customized aligner trays.
Invisalign® consists of a series of clear trays that gently move the teeth while remaining virtually invisible during use.
These aligners are made of clear, smooth plastic. You will need to wear the aligners for 20-22 hours a day throughout your entire treatment. Every two weeks or so you will begin wearing a new set of aligners. As you advance to each subsequent stage of treatment, your teeth will gradually shift into place. In addition to straightening crooked teeth, Invisalign® can address:
- Gaps between the teeth
- Underbite, overbite, and crossbite
- Overly crowded teeth
You will typically return to our office every six weeks for a routine examination to evaluate your progress. Average treatment time is roughly one year for our adult patients, but results can vary based on your condition and aesthetic goals.
Alternatives to Traditional Invisalign®
Based on your age and needs, there are alternatives to the traditional Invisalign® system, including:
- Invisalign® Teen: This system is similar to the traditional straightening system, but also includes six replacement aligners in case your child misplaces a tray. The specially designed aligners also feature blue indicators so that we can easily track treatment compliance.
- Invisalign® Express: If you suffer from only minor aesthetic concerns, and want to achieve an attractive smile more rapidly, you may be a good candidate for Invisalign® Express. This option can provide noticeable results in as little as four to six months.
The Benefits of Invisalign®
Invisalign® can offer several benefits over traditional orthodontics:
- Better aesthetics: Unlike metal braces which are highly conspicuous, Invisalign®'s clear trays are very discreet, allowing you to achieve greater alignment without compromising your smile.
- Enhanced comfort: When metal braces are tightened, it can cause discomfort. Metal braces can also snag soft tissue. Invisalign® is made of a smooth plastic and applies gentle, constant pressure.
- Improved oral hygiene: Since Invisalign® aligners can be removed, patients can brush and floss as they normally would. The crevices between traditional braces can be difficult to clean, leading to an increased risk of decay.
- Fewer appointments: Traditional orthodontics require periodic visits to tighten an arch wire. Invisalign® requires fewer appointments which can usually be completed in less time per visit.
It is important to understand that Invisalign®, despite its advantages, is not right for certain patients and more severe cases of misalignment. Our orthodontics will review your particular case and determine the best alignment option for your needs.
How to Learn More
At Harlem Center for Aesthetic Dentistry, we understand the significant impact an attractive smile can have on your quality of life. To find out more about what the Invisalign® system can do for you, contact our office today.